Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dreams

As I sit here drinking my second cup of stale coffee ( a new morning routine), enjoying a bowl of oatmeal that can only be described as being pulled out of a Charles Dickens novel, I watch my darling daughter sleep, and wonder what she's dreaming about. It surely can't be that detailed - or quite frankly, that interesting - considering she's only been in this world for all of 9 days. But it's started to get my mind going.


I wonder what she'll be like in a few weeks. Will she be one of those kids who can't grow up fast enough? Holding her own bottle, turning over, running before she crawls? That sort of thing. Or will she be a bright eyed observer, content with things like color and music.


I wonder what her future will be like. Will she be talented like her parents, and perform at Carnegie Hall like her grandma? Or will she display a completely different skill set, and rock the world as a phenomenal athlete? Though if her current size, along with the stature of her parents have anything to do with it, she'sprobably looking at the former as a much more reasonable expectation.


Speaking of which, what do I expect from her? I honestly just have a few expectations. That she is honest, hard working, and understanding as well as accepting of those around her. But if we're talking hypothetical, I would love for her to be incredibly unique. More specifically, the type of heroine you read about in novels, like Jane Eyre, Lisbeth Salander or Hannah. I realize this last one is a film, but as any father will tell you, they dream of raising a girl capable of bringing down a small army if needed. I immediately dismiss the thought of her being more of a "single white female" character, or even worse, an unoriginal remake.


I wonder if she'll have the same love for animals as Jenn and I. I wonder if she'll come straight to us the first time some douche bag breaks her heart. I wonder... if this crap she just took on my shorts will come out...

2 comments:

  1. REALLY hope she doesn't turn out like Lisbeth Salander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks for taking me literally

    ReplyDelete